• Shreveporttimes.com • Weather • Calendar • Jobs • Cars • Real Estate • Apartments • Shopping • Classifieds • Dating

Friday, February 02, 2007

Can't win, can't lose

This will be an interesting Super Bowl for me.

You see, I've been a Chicago Bears fan since 1969. Maybe it's that whole Pooh bear thing when you're a little kid. But by the time they drafted Walter Payton in 1975, I was hooked for life. I had followed Payton's college career at Jackson State as a kid growing up in Chicago.

Eleven years later, Payton and the Bears won the Super Bowl in New Orleans against the New England Patriots. I was working in Opelousas at the time and drove to New Orleans that day. I figured I'd soak up some atmosphere and if I found a desperate scalper, I'm there.

There were no desperate scalpers.

There was only a guy asking for $1,500 for a ticket. I told the guy, "George Halas isn't going to see this game and neither am I.''

So why is this an interesting Super Bowl for me?

Because one of my friends from college, Craig Kelley, is the PR director for the Indianapolis Colts. We've been friends for 20-plus years. I once flew to Indy - this is pre-Peyton, pre-cool Colts - to visit him and watch a game. For 20 years I've been rooting for him to get a Super Bowl ring.

And now this. Now the Colts are playing the Bears.

I can't win. And I can't lose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home